Sunday 11 September 2011

Dont tell me that setting your mind on achieving a goal isnt half the battle won- i know it is.
Nearly exactly a year ago i sat down at my mother in law (or out law as she prefers to be called) 's ancient sewing machine (having never sat down at one in my adult life) and started to fulfill my hospital promise to myself that i would learn to sew.
It was hard going and my first blanket (made for Missk so that if the need ever arose,she could sleep with something just for her, safe in the knowledge that her mother loved her enough to sweat blood while making it) ,although i really love it-the patterns and colours- is really really badly made.

I've learned tricks and shortcuts along the way.
I've become best friends with my quick unpick and eaten humble pie and started whole blankets over more times than i can count.
I've walked away from patterns to stop myself from throwing them in the fire in frustration,only to come back and keep working at them months later.

Tonight i finished this....

 double sized kiwiana quilt backed in buzzy bee brushed cotton and overlayed with koru design









Although still not perfect,
It is a LIFE LONG goal that i have had to make a proper quilt.
And it feels AMAZING to have achieved something that for 4/5 of my life i have told myself that i simply could not do (was not clever enough,knowledgeable enough and of course,knew nothing about sewing) .
No i never took a lesson (too expensive ), no i dont have a state of the art sewing machine (too expensive),yes i have to budget and wait and fit sewing in whenever and wherever i can

Ridiculously bad at following written instructions,i probably mastered things slower than i might have but who cares? I got there in the end . So all i can say is YEEEEEE HAWWWWWWWW

That thing you've always wanted to do? Why not give it a try? With a little perseverance and a decent dollop of determination and doggedness , no doubt  you'll get there too.

4 comments:

  1. it looks pretty damn good to me cat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue! :-) Next I'm going to try hand quilting a quilt top instead of machine quilting- bigger,better challenges await!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Cat! Thats awesome. I've always admired your lovely creations. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not long Mrs Bing til you'll have your own,its on the chopping mat as we speak!

    ReplyDelete